Each year more and more people decide to get their degree online. And each year more and more types of degrees are offered. However, there are a handful of degrees that are most popular for those pursuing an online education. Below we’ve listed the ten most popular online degrees over the past few years. We hope this information is useful as you select which online degree you want to pursue.
1. Business administration and MBA programs are one of of the most popular online degrees. Most online business administration and MBA programs are geared toward people with accredited bachelor’s degrees who want to improve their skills, increase their income, broaden their knowledge, or open new vistas of employment opportunities. Many online business administration and MBA programs consist of a ten month to year long intensive training program centered upon comprehensive business studies including finance, accounting, business management, and real world financial applications, depending upon field of specialization. Online business administration and MBA programs can be attained after earning a bachelor’s degree in any discipline in a broad range of degree fields. For example, a concentration in accounting and finance, allows students to advance as Financial Analysts, Comptrollers, Independent Accountants, Professional Investors, or other top-tier financial professions.
2. Psychology is the second most popular online degree program. Many online psychology degrees train students to become counselors or increase students’ knowledge in psychological development, personality, and behavior. Online colleges instruct students on current theories and applications of ideas in business, industrial, public, and private settings. Students in the field of psychology explore functions within the human body to evaluate the primary mechanisms of behavior as well as learn theoretical approaches to counselling and psychotherapy. Studying behavior origin, classification, and symptoms to distinguish between and treat neurotic and psychotic behavior prepares students for success. Graduates who earn online psychology degrees often pursue careers in Administration, Advocacy, Case Management, Community Relations, Counselling, and Mental Health Services.
3. Nursing programs are among the most popular online degrees. Most online nursing programs are geared toward students with at least an associates degree in nursing, though many require students possess a bachelors degree. Nursing programs available online assist students in planning, implementing and evaluating care of patients while attending to contemporary health and illness issues. Students in online nursing programs learn innovative methods in a flexible, diverse, and demanding career path. Most online colleges require a candidate to possess their Registered Nurse degree before admission. Many online colleges offer transfer credit opportunities, convenient and flexible scheduling, and recognition of previous work experience. All online colleges offer nursing students at any level a broad understand of contemporary health and illness issues and the ability to provide and manage patient care. Most online colleges have bachelors and graduate programs well suited for most nursing students depending upon field of specialization and career goals.
4. Engineering is among the top most popular online degree programs. A student seeking skills in an engineering career can develop knowledge through a fundamental civil, electrical, or mechanical engineering program offered through many online colleges. Online engineering studies assist students in fine tuning their organizational and communication skills, as well as assisting with decision making, human resource management, and ethics for a career as an engineer or engineering manager. Many online programs prepare students for the ever changing corporate, private, and public sectors of the engineering job market. Many online colleges offer bachelor or graduate programs designed to assist in professional goals as an engineer depending upon field of specialization and degree programs. Many online colleges allow credit transfers and some offer job experience incentives.
5. Liberal Arts/Humanities are among the most popular online degrees. Many online colleges offer students programs to compete their bachelors degree with flexible scheduling, generous course transfer options, and often job experience incentives. Liberal arts/humanities degree offerings through online colleges allow students to pursue career goals based upon sharpening communication skills, critical thinking skills, analytical thinking skills, and deepening a diverse cultural understanding. Students who earn a liberal arts/humanities degree open the doors to successfully enhancing their marketability in a wide range of educational, industrial, and social science careers. Most online colleges allow for on the job incentives as well as generous course transfer credits.
6. K-12 Education programs are among the top most popular online degree programs. Students with educational goals of completing their bachelors degree or graduate degree can often meet their goal through online college offerings. Students who concentrate studies on organizational skill development, communications, group behavior, decison making, elementary education, or secondary education often successfully become educators. Many online colleges offer well rounded programs designed to flexibly meet the students need while allowing for credit transfers and/or job experience incentives. Students in K-12 education programs further knowledge in childhood education, childhood learning, and early cognitive development. Many students who graduate with a masters degree and pass resulting certification find employment as educators.
7. Information Systems and Technology is among the most popular online degree programs. Information systems and technology courses offer students a career as computer information specialists who design, build, and implement software solutions in many industries and for the government. The demand for computer information systems specialists is high and earning potential is great. Most courses in information systems and technology are based in communications, teamwork, and information technology instilling the foundation of future leaders ready to meet business and technological challenges. Most online colleges offer specialization in business management, computer forensiscs, database management, information systems security, systems analysis and integration or web develpment and administration, all compliment flexibility online colleges Business Management, Computer Forensics, Database Management, Information Systems Security, Systems Analysis and Integration, or Web Development and Administration, allowing you to possess the knowledge, skills and experience to excel in your chosen field. A flex option is also available in lieu of a specific track.
8. Criminal Justice is among the top most popular degree programs offered by online colleges. Most online colleges offer a bachelor of science in criminal justice and some offer graduate programs. For students pursuing bachelors degree in criminal justice, online colleges offer courses in theory and application of law enforcement, as well as prevention, adjudication, and correction of juvenile and adult crime. Students gain the fundamentals of ethics, leadership, evidence based knowledge and analysis, and an increased understanding of the interrelationships between society, law, and government. A bachelors in criminal justice prepares students for careers in the public or private criminal justice service. A graduate program offering a concentration in criminal justice teaches students homeland security, law enforcement management, leadership, public administration, and an in-depth understanding of court rulings, public opinion, affects of legislation on justice related policies, and future management career options in the criminal justice field. Most graduate programs in criminal justice provide students with the ability to identify innovative approaches for rational, fiscally responsible policy choices while combining learned management and leadership theories to public safety issues identified by governmental agencies. Most graduates with a masters in criminal justice secure careers as crime analysts, drug and alcohol program managers, child protection investigators, deputy sheriffs, court services agents and many other careers.
9. Early Childhood Education degrees are among the most popular online degrees. Most online colleges offer bachelor and graduate programs in early education based upon developing organizational and communication skills with training in ethical, legal, and societal issues, child development, family studies, group behavior, psychology, classroom management, and other disciplines to give students the skills to become effective educators. Most online colleges offer credit transfer options as well as job experience credits. Many online colleges also assist candidates in preparation for teacher licensure at an elementary level depending upon Department of Education or district specific requirements.
10. Health Administration is among the most popular online degrees. Many online colleges offer bachelor, graduate, and doctoral programs geared toward health administration. Students pursuing a bachelors program complete general education, theory, and applied learning programs opening doors to career opportunities within health care administration. Students learn to effectively address the health issues facing communities while studying ethical issues, privacy concerns, and computer and information technology. Students in health administration disciplines learn to care for people of diverse cultural backgrounds, research latest medical breakthroughs, and learn managerial skills. Many online colleges require students to meet educational requirements in general education and elective courses before beginning health administration programs. Many online colleges also offer job experience incentives and generous credit transfer programs.